Saturday, April 16, 2011

I went to camp so long ago that it was the Stone Age!


When I was younger one of my most sincere desires was to go to summer camp.  Hanging out with other kids all day, playing sports and swimming then getting sit around a campfire at night, and sleep in a bunk seemed like such an adventure.   Movies like “Heavyweights,” “It Takes Two,” and “The Parent Trap” only made that desire grow stronger.   Alas, the closest I ever got to summer camp was being shipped off to a boarding school with no air conditioning in its dorms.
I’ve written about my affinity for Jetsetter before.  They hold flash sales for hotels in some of the world’s most desirable destinations, but every once in a while they’ll feature some outrageous trip, like the sixty-day expedition to the Arctic.  This week they’re holding a sale that makes me wish I was nine-years-old again: three different summer camp experiences for kids.  The first is the classic all-boys camp experience for two weeks in the wilderness, the second is an all-girls weeklong horseback riding camp, and the third is a co-ed cooking camp for one week.