Saturday, August 20, 2011

J'adore: AMERICA!

I’m proud to be an American, and I sincerely wish some of these items were free.  This post is about a month and a half late, but there are a couple of lust worthy pieces all inspired by Americana that I’ve recently fallen in love with.  I couldn’t wait until next July 4 to share.

Jeanine Payer is a San Francisco based jewelry designer with a significant celebrity following, popular for her engraved pieces featuring memorable quotes or lines from poems.  Her 18K Hepburn ring could easily be mistaken for a signet ring, but this piece is embellished with ten small diamonds around a quote by one of America’s most famous poets: Walt Whitman.  The quote reads, “I do not ask any more delight, I swim in it as a sea.”
I’m a huge history nerd, so in the process of trying to find items to decorate my new apartment I stumbled upon an antique flag dealer who specializes in procuring American flags and political memorabilia from the 19th century.  My favorite item was the pair of framed McKinley/Roosevelt & Bryan/Stevenson campaign flags from the 1900 election.  For something more moderately priced, there prints from an artist on Etsy of five different presidents each battling zombies, big foot or riding a grizzly bear.

Another great Etsy find is the t-shirt by urban clothing designer Culture Attack.  Though President Lincoln is barely recognizable beneath the eye patch and bandanna, the portrait of everyone’s favorite abolitionist is available on four different colored cotton shirts.  At $26 a piece, it’s a steal compared to the D&G tanks that are equally fantastic.

Though D&G is an Italian fashion house, they have a knack for putting American icons on clothing.  My favorite from this season is the Steve McQueen tank, and the Elvis shirt from last season.  Both are sold out, but LUISAVIAROMA has an interesting selection of Kylie Minogue shirts left.