Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Spring cleaning

The Washington Post has released their annual spring cleaning list of the top then things they’d like to “throw out.”
  1. Engagement Rings
  2. “Democracy”
  3. Smartphones
  4. “The Simpsons”
  5. Tipping
  6. Auto-Tune
  7. Leftovers
  8. Stability
  9. Small Talk
  10. Seniority-based firing
I think I could do without five of the things on this list. 

Slate’s Emily Yoffe argues that engagement rings are nothing more than costly tokens of love that only became popular in the twentieth century.  Also, they’re kind of sexist because you never see men walking around with a princess cut diamond solitaire on their left ring finger.

Baratunde Thurston from The Onion makes the case for eliminating smartphones, which are nothing more than pieces of technology on which we have become far too reliant.  I have resisted the urge to get a smartphone so far, but there have been times when a GPS might have come in handy or I became exceedingly anxious that I could not compulsively check my email/Facebook/Twitter/blog.  However, in many social situations I look around at my friends as they interact with their phones, not the people surrounding them, and I’m left bewildered why they don’t join the person on the other end of their phone who seems far more important.  Next time you ride public transportation or sit at a bar, try putting down your smartphone for a second and count the number of people who have their eyes glued to an electronic device.  It’s kind of sad.

“I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.” –Mr. Pink, Reservoir Dogs 
Steve Buschemi and I are so alike.

Leftovers are gross.  They’re economical, but they’re gross.  I’m sure whatever meal you got from TGIFridays was great, but is it really worth the shame and embarrassment that come with pulling the cold, congealed mess from the fridge at 3am?

Small talk is one of the most excruciating social norms that I refuse to endure.  If I’m going to have a conversation with someone, it’s because I’m genuinely interested in finding out something about a person.  Otherwise, I really don’t care what their opinion is on the weather, or the latest celebrity scandal.  So just leave me alone.