Wednesday, January 26, 2011

And the nominees are...

In honor of this year's Best Actor nominee.
Oscar nominations came out yesterday, and I got 27 out of 30 predictions correct for the Best Picture and acting catagories!  I tried to base my predictions on only movies I had seen.  I chose Ryan Gosling over Javier Bardem in "Biutiful," and Mila Kunis over Jackie Weaver in "Animal Kingdom."  Sadly, Andrew Garfield didn't get a nomination over Mark Ruffalo in "The Kids Are All Right."  Mark Ruffalo was being Mark Ruffalo in the most Ruffaloian way possible in that movie, I never would have chosen him.

I didn't predict which directors would get nominated, but I am quite surprised that David O. Russel director of "The Fighter" got the nomination over Christopher Nolan for "Inception."  Some people are saying Tom Hooper was the oddball who stole Nolan's nomination.  Traditionally, for a film to be in the running for Best Picture, its director must be nominated.  "The Kings Speech" is a serious contender for best picture, so Hooper makes sense.  It's a shame that Nolan was snubbed, because as commercial as his movie was it was quite innovative.

Up next: winner predictions.