Sunday, March 13, 2011

UPDATE: The Hunger Games

I am not ashamed to admit that I enjoy books marketed to people much younger than I am.  One of my all-time favorite books is The Giver.  I adore the Harry Potter series, and the Lord of the Rings trilogy.  I read all of the Twilight books, but loath myself for it. 
Add to that list The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins.  Set in a future dystopian United States, each of the country’s twelve districts is forced to choose one male and one female under the age of eighteen to compete in a deadly televised competition where only the winner survives.  The protagonist, Katniss Everdeen, volunteers herself to participate in the Hunger Games when her younger sister’s name is drawn from her district’s lottery.  I highly recommend these books since they’re a very quick read, and quite entertaining.
I must not be the only person over the age of fifteen that enjoyed “The Hunger Games” because there is a film adaptation in the works, and the battle for the lead role as Katniss have become quite contentious.  Names being floated around late last year included Chloe Moretz from “Kick Ass,” Saoirse Ronan who was in “The Lovely Bones” and “Atonement,” and Emma Roberts who played the feature role in “Nancy Drew,” and is more famously known for being Julia Roberts’s niece.  
More recently, the contenders appear to be Emily Browning who can be seen in this month’s “Suckerpunch,” “Little Miss Sunshine’s” Abigail Breslin, Oscar-nominated actress Hailee Steinfeld from “True Grit,” and “Winter’s Bone” Oscar-nominated star Jennifer Lawrence.  This weekend Lawrence pulled ahead of the pack just in time for talks with Lionsgate, which is scheduled to begin sometime next week. 
As previously stated, I felt Lawrence’s performance is “Winter’s Bone” was the best of the year, so I’d be quite pleased to see her in the role.  If it didn’t go to her, I think Hailee Steinfeld, who is closer in age to the protagonist, would be a great second choice. 
Not a great choice?  Alex Pettyfer, who has allegedly met with the film’s producers about the role of Peeta, Katniss’s teammate at the Hunger Games.


UPDATE: Jennifer Lawrence has officially gotten the role of Katniss.  Also, Hunter Parish from "Weeds" is in talks for the role of Peeta.