Thursday, December 9, 2010

Community = amazing!


Most of my favorite TV shows are serial drams, but I have to say I’m absolutely in love with NBC’s Community.  Though I had to watch season one on DVD, I’m utterly devoted to this show.  I think it’s smart, creative and comical in a way that The Office and 30 Rock used to be.

For those who are unfamiliar with the show, it centers on Jeff Winger (Joel McHale) a disbarred attorney who must return to school when his education is deemed void.  Jeff enrolls at a community college and enlists in a study group for his Spanish.  It sounds like it could be dull, but the ensemble cast works so well together.  The writing is flawless, and they don’t use the same, tired recycled jokes every episode.

Every character/actor is hilarious and able to hold their own.  I’ve been especially impressed by Allison Brie, who plays high-strung, former pill addict Annie.  After seeing her as Trudy Campbell in Mad Men, I would never have expected her to be as funny as she is. 

My favorite character is Abed.  Though Abed’s a bit different, he relates nearly every situation to television or movies.  The show is filled with subtle pop culture references. 

This week’s episode, “Abed’s Uncontrollable Christmas,” was done completely in stop-motion animation.  What undoubtedly took months to create, it was a clever homage to Christmas classics like Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and The Year without Santa Claus.

Below is my favorite episode, “Conspiracy Theories and Interior Design.”  Give it a try!